Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I'm only happy when it rains

After a very long summer finally we were blessed with stormy weekends. As my loyal readers know, my favorite season is winter. Unlike most Israelis I adore gray sky, thunder storms, wool scarves and sweaters. Most Israelis love the beach at summer but I on the other hand try to avoid it as much as possible. When winter arrives I love to take long strolls on empty beaches taking pictures of the roiling sea. Since weekends are the only time left for hiking and photographing, I wasn't deterred by weather forecasts and went traveling with the family. One weekend was spent in the old Crusaders fortress of Apollonia (near Herzelia) and another in the city of Acre.  I'd like to share with you some of the lovely images of sea at winter.


From Herzelia to Hedera


Tel-Aviv and stormy sea





Acre marina


Cloud over the Old City of Acre

We discovered a small but charming national park in the North. Ein-Affek is an attempt to restore the original marshland ecosystem of the Haifa Bay area. The dried up water holes were filled with water and the fish, birds, and turtles followed. Even buffaloes which once were abundant in the area and disappeared were restored. It's nothing like the rivers and lakes we saw in Canada but it's pretty and it's ours.

Cormorant, buffaloes, water lily and herb tea in Ein-Afek National Park


Sun sets over the Mediterranean 



Going home

3 comments:

  1. How I miss hiking b'eretz hakodesh, and love being there in winter; lovely pictures from up and down the coast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yael, I particularly like the Accre Marina photo. That first one is very strong as well. Boy, I would love to see you snapping the hail in Israel from the past week, Saw your family snow pic, very lovely indeed. Keep posting....:) Shulie

    ReplyDelete